This project has lots of opportunities for contribution - theoretical, computational, and
especially experimental. Some of these are listed here.
Unless otherwise stated, all equations refer to document pn2511.
Items are in no particular order.
Updated: 19 Jul 2008
Things that can be attended to pretty much straight away
- Confirm by measurements the relationships between Q, Zin, and steady-state
given in pn2511 section 9.
- Confirm by measurements the predictions of Zft given by pn2511, equations 8.2 and 8.5.
- Attempt to cross check Cdc from pn2511 equ 7.2 against measurement, especially for
coils at high elevation.
- Confirm by measurement the trend towards uniform intervals between
the odd-numbered resonances f5 onwards.
- Reproduce Medhurst figure 9 and explain the minimum.
- Measure accurately the higher mode frequencies on large coils of h/d less than 1.5, using coils
with very thin formers.
- Model the response of a coil to sudden discharge of the topload, and compare with actual response.
- Devise techniques to reliably measure the peak top voltage.
Stuff that'll take a bit longer
- Extend the range of systems for which software modeling is validated.
- Solve the frequency prediction error which occurs for coils at high
elevation and/or small radius.
- Improve estimation of Rac for use in the model.
- Replace pn1205 with a technical appendix pn1904.
- Compare the E-field collecting performance of foil sheets, meshes and radials. Find out the
minimum b/d ratio for coils operated over continuous conducting sheets.
- Improve the accuracy of determination of higher mode amplitudes in the time domain modeling of Tesla
coils at high coupling factor.
- Sort out the various causes of racing arcs.
- Establish whether toroid circulating currents are effective in damping the higher modes.
- Examine toroid surface field strength at breakout threshold.
- Attempt to set up a model of leader formation.
Some longer term goals
- Find modeled support for John Freau's views on increasing efficiency, and
find out what the upper limit constraints are for secondary inductance.
- Find an estimator of corona loading.
- Define an 'optimum' secondary in terms of performance and determine design
criteria to obtain it.
Maintainer Paul Nicholson, email@example.com.